id you know that your skin is the largest organ in your body?
It is made up of several different components, including – water, protein, lipids, and different minerals and chemicals.
It’s job is crucial: to protect you from infections and germs. It’s what stands between us and the world!
It’s our protector… So it makes sense to help protect it, from destruction and break down!
Your skin will regenerate itself approximately every 28 days… Which means – skin cells slowly make their way to the surface of your skin – to be sloughed off; making room for fresh, new skin cells to take charge within the skin…
By the age of 25, the production of collagen and elastin begins to decline, resulting in the slow decrease in overall firmness and elasticity. I hate to say it, but cell turnover within the skin (the skin cells making their way to the surface, to make room for new skin cells), also begins to decline… Meaning ageing within the skin begins.
Without getting too scientific… ‘Mitochondria’ – the energy source of our cells, is responsible for providing the cells with the energy they need to function at optimal level.
As a by-product of that energy, this energy source for our cells, also produces free radicals…
Now, when we’re young – our body needs these free radicals within, for numerous critical functions, such as – the health and development of muscle, bones, and the nervous system…
However, as we age – our body loses it’s ability to rid itself of excess free radicals, the mitochondria (energy source to our cells) slows down, skin cell turnover is depleted, and internal free radical damage begins…
Not to mention the added free radical damage that our skin has to externally put up with, from every day life! Sun, smoking, air pollution and poor diet all speed up the production of these free radicals…
One more thing… Our Fibroblast cells, which are responsible for the production of collagen and elastin (our saviours when it comes to anti ageing and maintenance for skin youth!), no longer produce collagen and elastin, once an individual becomes fully developed. The only way that production of new collagen and elastin is triggered, is by external product use or by the infliction of damage on the skin (such as chemical skin peels or skin needling), which tricks the skin into thinking its being hurt – which then triggers the skins healing process – helping to produce collagen and elastin.
All very depressing I know…
But I’m not writing this to SCARE you, I’m writing this to EDUCATE you –
so you are aware of just how important it is to both INTERNALLY and EXTERNALLY protect your skin!
What’s my favourite saying? …
Your skin is your costume for life. Look after it!
The ageing process is a part of life… There’s no avoiding it completely (unless someone creates a fountain of youth!), but – we can age in the best way possible – making best use of the skin we have!
Some tips for optimising INTERNAL skin health:
- DIET! What you put in your mouth, fuels your body and feeds your skin… If the food and drink you are consuming on a regular basis does not contain the vitamins, nutrition and minerals needed to assist with healthy cell function… Then you’re cheating yourself of overall health and balance… The occasional naughty treat is fine – I’m talking about what you put in your mouth each and every day.
- LIFESTYLE! Alcohol, smoking, stress, no sleep…. These factors all lead to the destruction and breakdown of healthy skin cells.. Not to mention affecting your overall wellbeing and mindset!
Some tips for optimising EXTERNAL skin health:
- A GOOD SKINCARE ROUTINE! What you put onto your skin, is just as important as what you put into your body! Using skincare products that contain HIGH QUALITY, ACTIVE ingredients to actually change the performance and function of your skin from within – is what will give you noticeable improvements and changes to your skin – the way it internally functions and its appearance… Regularity as well as quality ingredients, at a high level – is what you need, in order to see noticeable changes and improvements to your skins appearance.
- REGULAR SKIN TREATMENTS! I’m a big believer in regular visits to your amazingly talented skin expert! Someone who knows their stuff and who you can trust! Think of skin treatments, as your skin WORKOUT… They’ll help push your skin to work harder and as a result, strengthen and improve the way it functions and looks, for the future… Without regular skin treatments, your skin isn’t as internally fit, as what it could be… Your skincare routine is designed to only improve your skin concerns – to a certain degree… To optimise your results – regular skin treatments every 4-6 weeks, will provide your skin with the challenge and strength it needs, to perform at its best level… Which will allow your skincare routine to then maintain and prolong your skin fitness and overall health, in between appointments.
- AVOIDING HARSH EXTERNAL FACTORS! Excessive sun, wind, heating, cooling – can all strip your skins natural PH level and accelerate the breakdown and destruction of collagen and healthy skin cells… If you can avoid constant, harsh factors like these… try to!
We all only have one skin.
It’s there to protect us, but is also the first thing that is seen on our body… Look after it.
It’s much easier to PREVENT damage than to CORRECT damage thats been previously done…
So start protecting your skin today.
If you have any questions on what Overnight Treatment/s you’d like to try, fill out our skin quiz, which will give you my personal recommendation!
Here’s to loving the skin we’re in!